Saturday, September 14, 2013

Jail sentence for man who had sex with goat

A man has been sent to prison after admitting having sex with a goat. Robert Steven Newman, 23, of Devizes, Wiltshire pleaded guilty to the offence on August 19 and appeared at the North West Wiltshire Magistrates’ Court, Chippenham, for sentencing.

The offence took place between April 5 and April 16 at nighttime on a farm in a barn. A statement read out from the owner of the farm outlined the consequences of his actions that night. It said: “My husband is worried about my being on the property on my own. This person has caused us a considerable amount of money because we have had to have security fitted and pay vets' bills.”



Mr Newman was given a prison sentence of six weeks for the offence. While he was on bail Mr Newman was asked to obey a curfew between 7pm and 7am and was not allowed to enter any land where farm animals are kept. Mr Newman’s defence lawyer Anna Ellery said the offence had no aggravating factors. There was no recording of the activity and no circulation of pictures or videos.

Towards the end of the hearing she read out a statement from Mr Newman expressing his remorse and his desire to be reconciled with his family. It said: “I don’t want to be this bad person any more. I just want to get on with my life and do good. I want to stand before you today and then get on with my life.” Newman was also told he must sign up on the sex offenders' register.

No comments: