Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Art student searching for gallery to display her ‘naked pig head’ photograph after college ban

Fine art student Cress de la Fosse is searching for a gallery to show her work after it was banned from a college exhibition in Devon. Cress, 29, wants people to have the chance to see her picture that was withdrawn at the last minute from the Early Works show at Exeter College’s CCI building. The photograph, taken as part of her first year work, depicts a naked Cress, apart from a pair of wellington boots, with her face hidden by the head of a dead pig. She said: “My work highlights the poor body image and insecure feelings that a high percentage of women experience.



“By taking it down the message I feel that they are sending is that even in an art setting a female body should be hidden away from view and isn’t acceptable.” Cress, who has just started the second year of her university-level course, said: “It seems very odd. We are asked not to just do pretty pictures and there are dark issues featured in the exhibition. The problem seems to be the nudity but we do life drawings. I like Exeter, it’s a great place to come to college, and I really enjoy the fine art course. The staff in the art department are incredibly inspiring and supportive. Unfortunately, the decision to not allow my work to be displayed has come from management above them.

“I was told that I was allowed to display the work, then that it had to be moved to a different wall and then it was put behind a screen. I complied with all these instructions. At the last minute, just half an hour before the private view was about to start, I was told it had to be taken down by the next day. I am an adult on an adult degree level course and I feel very upset that the people who ultimately made the decision didn’t even bother to ask me about my work or intentions. I agree that there is a time and a place for nudity, but I did think that an art gallery would be an appropriate one.” She added: “We do life drawing at college and there is a painting of a nude female model on display in the corridor for all to see. In my opinion a nude is a nude, they are both artistic images so why is one acceptable but not the other?



“The college has said that they will try to find a gallery that would accept my work but I feel that is unlikely to happen as I am only a student.” Nigel Watts, head of art and design at Exeter College, said: “Cress’s submission is a great piece of work which is why it has been included in this upcoming exhibition. While we are pleased to exhibit Cress’s artwork, one piece is particularly powerful and has been withdrawn from this exhibition in the college’s Centre for Creative Industries. The CCI building has a wide age range of public and community user groups including the Pauline Quirke Academy – accommodating young people from the age of four – and it is important that the venue is a suitable environment for all age groups. We are working with one of our creative partners in the city for the piece to be displayed to ensure that Cress’s artwork gets the exposure it deserves.”

4 comments:

Patty O'Heater said...

"We are working with one of our creative partners in the city for the piece to be displayed to ensure that Cress’s artwork gets the exposure it deserves.”

Might I suggest the local refuse tip?

Anonymous said...

Wait--that's not Miss Piggy? That wasn't a candid snap from Kermit's collection?

Lurker111

Zhoen said...

Ok, I'm in the wrong comment section. I think she has lots of valid points, and does not deserve to be censored. For a student work, she has something important here, that may not be art museum quality, but absolutely belongs displayed in a college exhibition.

The two criticisms above are beside the point for an art student told her work would be in a student art exhibition, then got slapped back for fulfilling her assignment. This wasn't meant to be pretty, but provocative, which is exactly the point.

Anonymous said...


Art students need to focus on creativity rather than academic work. It is better to buy academic papers and spend time on creativity. You can always pay for term papers and go about your business.