Friday, April 20, 2007

Hurt window cleaner's ladder insurance shock

A window cleaner who was paralysed after plunging 9m (30ft) at work has been told he was not insured to climb ladders.

Despite shelling out £310 a year on insurance, Ricky Perrin is devastated he was not covered for the injury, which has left him wheelchairbound for life.

Doctors told the 28-year-old father of two he will never walk again after breaking his back when he fell from a window ledge at a nursing home in November.

Mr Perrin, who set up the business last year in his home town Hove, in East Sussex, said: 'I took out the policy precisely because I wanted to protect my family if I had an accident at work.'

An invoice from Icon Insurance in September states he could receive up to £10million if he had an accident.

But, when Mr Perrin contacted the company to discuss his claim, he was told he was not insured to be on the ladder. 'They told me I had taken out a policy that covered employees and I wasn't covered as it was my own business,' he added.

Icon Insurance refused to discuss 'individual cases'.

No comments: