Monday, June 02, 2008

Dying man wins £5,000 bet on life

A terminally ill man has collected £5,000 after betting he would stay alive. Jon Matthews, 58, from Milton Keynes, Bucks bet he could beat doctors’ predictions and live.

Eight months ago he was told "don’t make any plans for Christmas" but bet £100 he would survive and won.

He said: "The doctors said I wouldn’t live until the end of the year. Then I got hold of William Hill and placed a bet. They checked all the facts out and that’s why they gave me odds of 50/1."



Doctors at Harefield Hospital in Middlesex told him he had Mesothelioma - a cancer linked to asbestos - in April 2006.

"The longest the doctors have ever heard of anyone surviving Mesothelioma after diagnosis was 25 months," he said.

Mr Matthews said he would give half the money to cancer charity Macmillan. "The other half I’m going to spend on myself - booze and fags probably - I don’t have anything to lose. The other thing I’ve always wanted to do is a bunjee jump."

No comments: