Friday, September 19, 2008

Black fox spotted in Britain for first time

It's linked to Gaelic tradition and superstition. But the unlucky black fox has never been spotted in Britain before. Until now.

Kevin Hehir, 48, was out walking in a cemetery with his friend Jeff Brown when they spied the creature lurking among the gravestones.

Kevin, from Ribbleton in Preston, said: "It was on the outskirts of Chorley, I don't want to give the exact location out as it's a very rare fox and I don't want people to go and try and catch it.



"We were walking along looking at gravestones and I spotted it. I thought, it's a myth, there's no such thing. I took some photos and videoed it.

"It's only a cub, I managed to get right up to it – I thought it was the Devil looking at me. It's definitely a black fox.

Superstition seems to attach itself to black animals, likewise in the past with black dogs and – to this day – black cats. David Dunlop, Lancashire Wildlife Trust conservation officer, said: "It's a Gaelic tradition, originating from the black dog which was said to bring doom and disaster to those who see it."

There's a news video here.

No comments: