A 19-year-old man had to be rescued after his lower leg became stuck in melted tar on a road outside his house in Greater Manchester.
Graham Merrington's foot and shin disappeared down the hole as he tried to cross Angleside Avenue in Burnage.
Firefighters cut away the road surface, believed to have melted in the hot weather, to free him on Tuesday night.
He said: "I was in a bit of shock. You don't expect to be walking down a road and disappear down a hole."
Mr Merrington, a catering assistant, was stuck in the hole for more than 40 minutes while the firefighters worked to free his leg.
The road was cordoned off while police, ambulance and fire crews helped him.