Monday, June 22, 2009

Woman has pond stolen

Widowed Margaret Chambers, 69, woke up last Saturday morning in Ramsgate to find a fibreglass moulded pond had been ripped out of the ground in her back garden and its plants tipped out.

Mrs Chambers’ husband Richard, who died last year of cancer, installed the pond five years ago, and she had been trying to get her garden back in good order.

Mrs Chambers said: “I had let the weeds grow a bit because I’d heard you should try and encourage the wildlife, and we had frogs move into the pond last year so about this time of the year I get a lot of tadpoles in it.



“But when I came out here on Saturday, the whole pond was gone. There was just a pile of earth left. I couldn’t believe it. There were dead tadpoles everywhere. I managed to save some of them by putting them in a basin, but lots of them died.

“I still can’t believe anyone could do this. You would have thought they would have made a lot of noise but I didn’t hear anything. I reported it to the police.”

Mrs Chambers has bought a new pond mould at a cost of £45 for the tadpoles she managed to save.

No comments: