Tuesday, June 15, 2010

World's oldest mother is dying 18 months after birth

She shocked the world when she gave birth to a baby girl despite being 70-years-old, but now the world's oldest mother Rajo Devi Lohan has revealed she is dying.

Just 18 months after her IVF treatment produced daughter Naveen Rajo says she is too weak to recover from the effects of the procedure.

"I dreamed about having a child all my life. It does not matter to me that I am ill, because at least I lived long enough to become a mother', she said.



She added: "The doctor never warned me it was dangerous to have a baby at my age." She insists her extended family will take care of Naveen once she is gone.

Rajo is now unable to get out of bed after internal bleeding due to the birth and a large cyst on an ovary left her debilitated.

She and husband Balla, 73, are of poor rural stock and took out £2,000 loans to pay for the treatment.

7 comments:

so said...

damn, there should be international laws against IVF after 60 years old...
I know, some people call it "sexist", saying "a man can be a dad at any age, why women couldn't do the same?", but I think it's a stupid argument : this sad story proves that a woman body is not able to handle a pregnancy after a certain age.

WifeMotherMe said...

This story is disturbing and heart breaking on so many levels. 

L said...

Selfish, selfish woman.

Insolitus said...

You have to take into account this is in rural India. There not having children means you are inferior, almost an outcast. I heard this couple were shunned by their neighbours because of their infertility. After 50 years of trying desperately to become parents, I can't blame them for taking advantage of a modern medical miracle.

Foreigner1 said...

<span>Egoïstic Child Abuse. 
 
That's just what this is. Nothing more.</span>

Foreigner1 said...

To me, a 70 year old wanting to have -and get- a child, is just that. Black and white- <span><span>Egoïstic Child Abuse.  
  
</span></span>

Insolitus said...

It must be easy living in such a simple world.