Friday, February 18, 2011

Australian TV presenter loses it on air over his 'long, stabby thing'

Things got hot and heavy on the set of the Today show yesterday morning, with viewers treated to revelations so scandalous it was more like WikiLeaks than morning TV. With two minutes to fill with carefree banter before Georgie Gardner was to read the 6.30am news bulletin, Karl Stefanovic made a reference to a “long, stabby thing” that he keeps by his bedside in the event of a home invasion.

"A bloke’s gotta protect his family, right?” he said. Stefanovic then posed the question to co-host Lisa Wilkinson, inquiring as to whether she was lucky enough to have something similarly “long and stabby” in the bedroom. Wilkinson confessed to harbouring a “swordy thing”, her hand movements suggesting something long and generally unmalleable. Then the query was thrown to Gardner, who, utterly straight-faced, declared: “Well, Tim’s my long stabby thing”, a reference to her trusty husband Tim Baker.


YouTube link.

At this, Stefanovic appeared to be on the brink of losing composure, when Wilkinson, equally straight-faced, appeared to praise Gardner’s “excellent long stabby thing … a multiple of uses,” adding forlornly: “My husband’s useless,” a revelation that must surely have had hubby Peter FitzSimons howling at the TV over his breakfast.

But it was when reporter Ben Fordham decided to weigh in to the debate that the bubble really burst. Defending his own personal preference for golf clubs as weapons of defence against a home invader, Fordham argued the folly of getting “up close and personal with them”, adding: “I’d want to be standing back and whacking them off from a distance.” Such candour proved too much for Stefanovic, who promptly stood from his chair and exited the set, with Fordham, realising what he’d said, following in hot and embarrassed pursuit.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Superb! That really made my day. Thanks :D

Brixter said...

Hahaha so Funny! Those guys couldn't hold it. Lots of innuendos. :)

The blonde reporter didn't have a clue on what's going on.

cath said...

Oh, I think she did. I think she was very good at maintaining a deadpan delivery. "My husband is my long stabby thing."

WordyGrrl said...

I think the ladies win this round. Excellent composure despite the escalating entendres!

Anonymous said...

No, I don't think the women got the innuendo. When she said "My husband is my long stabby thing" I think she just meant that he was her protection against breakins. And when the other woman said her husband was useless, I really think she just meant that he wasn't good around the house for protection or fixing things, i.e. stereotype of a husband's role.