Sunday, September 25, 2011

Dog owners very, very, very, very sorry after pitbull goes on rampage in barber shop

A large white pitbull has been quarantined at the Providence Animal Shelter, Rhode Island, after it escaped from its home and bit three children, then ran into a barber shop and wreaked havoc.

According to police, the dog got out of a house at around 6:30 p.m. on Friday.


YouTube link. Second camera angle. Also available with added Benny Hill music.

The owners of the dog, Octavio Taglirine and Lisa Silvio, told police that their dog got loose when their child opened a door. "We're very, very, very, very sorry. It wasn't intentional. It was an accident. The dog lived with two kids, we don't know what happened," Octavio said.

After roaming around the neighbourhood, the dog burst into L&J Barber Shop while chasing a person.

With news video.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize that everyone panicked when they saw the dog on the loose but I wonder if anyone tried yelling "No!" at him. If he was ever told standard obedience commands by his owners, likely he would have paused and listened. I bet the people's reaction only frightened the dog and he over-compensated by being even more aggressive. I was confronted by a large doberman on the loose one time, keen on snacking on a tiny kitten. I got between him and the kitten and yelled "No" at him firmly but unafraid (it all happened so fast and I was so focused on saving the kitten, I was operating on adrenaline). To my relief and surprise, it worked. He left me alone as I left with the kitten. It's worth considering if it ever happens to you.
--A.

Anonymous said...

Well, I just got a chance to read the news article and of course, the authorities are making the dog pay for the mistake of the owners. With his life. Barbaric, short sighted, selfish. The owners should be heavily fined, charged with a misdemeanor and sued. Why is it that everyone is so sure *their* dog is so special that s/he would never act like what they are, dogs? Because humans are narcissistic that way.

Insolitus said...

"Barbaric, short sighted, selfish." I'm just wondering, Anonymous, if you would really be willing to bet someone else's life on the fact this dog would never do this again? I wouldn't, but then I value human life above other forms of life. I'm selfish, that way.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Insolitus - I love animals, but animals that threaten the lives of humans have to be dealt with.