Friday, October 07, 2011

Woman is allergic to cash

Emma Killilea has no option but to live a thrifty lifestyle – because she's allergic to money.

The 39-year-old, from Sheffield, gets itchy sores on her palms when she handles coins containing nickel. 'You are always discovering new things with nickel in,' she said.



'Coins, buttons, jewellery, zips – the list is endless. It does make shopping a bit of a nightmare. Copper coins cause me the most trouble. They seem to have a very high quantity of nickel in them.

'The palm of my hands will get severely itchy and irritable for the rest of the day. Thankfully in this day and age we can use cards to buy pretty much everything.'

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's not unusual. My sister has the same problem. Nickle is the most common metal allergy.

...I have the luck of being allergic to chlorine. Tap water makes my throat itch if I drink it and I come out of the shower bright red. I can't go in pools or even sit at the side of an indoor one.