Thursday, March 29, 2012

Clamper calls ambulance for ill motorist then clamps his van anyway

When motorist Paul Wiseman began to feel seriously unwell a Good Samaritan appeared to be close at hand. But the man who for called an ambulance was also a car clamper. After calling the emergency service he then continued to clamp his vehicle as Mr Wiseman was sent to hospital gasping for air. Paul Wiseman had pulled over in a no-parking zone when he started to feel unwell but was targeted by an employee of the clamping firm Carstoppers Ltd as soon as he had stopped. The 55-year-old father-of-two claimed he tried to stop employee Gareth Evans clamping his vehicle but was so ill that he slumped against his Mercedes van while he was struggling for breath.

Mr Wiseman, of Keighley, says Mr Evans then paused to call an ambulance but continued to clamp the van as Mr Wiseman was rushed away with blue lights flashing from the scene in Skipton. Mr Wiseman, who runs his own cutting tool distribution business, said: “I pulled over in Devonshire Place when I started to feel ill at about 1pm. I didn’t realise it was the back of a business premises, I just needed to stop because I didn’t feel right. My son Chris had jumped out of the van to get me a sandwich. While I was waiting I saw this car come hurtling up to me and pull in front.



“This man rushed towards me carrying the yellow clamp and I got out to ask him what he was doing. I stood in front so he couldn't do it. He was trying to get me out of the way so I pushed him backwards. I felt unwell, exhausted and was struggling to get my breath. And when I turned towards the van door I collapsed onto the floor of the van. He got out his phone and rang for an ambulance, but even though he could see I was unwell, he started to clamp my van. I wasn't in any fit state to control what was going on and to take advantage of someone in my position is despicable.

“I’m furious about it now but at the time I was more concerned about what was wrong with me.” He said his son Chris was confronted by Mr Evans, who handed him a document that said he would have to pay £150 to release the clamp. “Obviously Chris was worried about me and wanted to come with me to hospital so there was no point in arguing,” said Mr Wiseman. “He had no choice but to go to the nearest cash machine, draw out the money and hand it over.” Mr Wiseman was in hospital until around 5pm as his blood pressure ‘had shot up’. He is now awaiting further tests to find out what caused his illness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just wrong. Is there no empathy anymore?

sooz said...

Hmmm...the guy owns a cutting tool company. His son should have used one of those cutting tools on the clamp!

Ratz said...

In my old uni a colleague was clamped outside our building. He had an angle grinder so we threw an extension cord out and the window for him to power it, he cut the clamp off and drove off with it. Free clamp, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Something like this isn't illegal?