Sunday, December 23, 2012

Search on for mystery creature that chews up ears of livestock

A community of farmers in Shelby County, Kentucky have been terrorized over the past few weeks by a mystery animal. The creature has been attacking, but not eating, livestock such as goats and calves. Kevin Cox, a farmer in the area, had already had one animal fall victim to an attack and he said his dogs alerted him of a second, "I heard the goat the dogs going off and I ran out there and I looked and saw the goat laying on the ground."



His goat, Polka-dot, is now missing all of one ear and almost lost both of them. Cox explained, "I noticed my whole steer bull looking a little different. It was covered in blood. Then my other two bulls come up and they had their ears all chewed up." Cox is one of a handful of farmers along Ditto Road in Waddy whose animals have been mysteriously attacked. Another farmer had to put down five goats because the injuries were so severe.

Most of the attacks have come at night. One woman told County officials she and her daughter were briefly followed by an animal that made a sound she called "indescribable." County officials are investigating and they have recruited the help of the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Department. On Thursday, crews searched the woods and set traps in hopes of finding the cause of the attacks.


YouTube link.

Meanwhile, Cox said he's doing all he can to protect his animals, "We're trying to find out what it is. I don't know if we ever will."Shelby County officials will soon be hosting a meeting at the Waddy Ruritan Club. They are looking to make the public aware of the problem and discuss solutions.

4 comments:

WilliamRocket said...

No pictures of the animals ?
Sort of like crop circles then !

Barbwire said...

It's the chupacabras!

Unknown said...

I have tried to express my concern about a large animal which I seen on 55 near the Taylorsville/Shelby County line in 2008! It was the same type of animal seen in Nelson County in 2010! THIS IS NOT A RACOON! The thing which I passed on 55 was large enough that it was looking me in the eyes! My husband is a hunter, and I don't want him to run into this thing if it has rabies and mange! Are these animals being eaten after they are found dead??? No one believed me in 2008, when I worked at Family Physician Group, and still no one listens when I say it was NOT A RACOON! It is way to large for a Racoon.

Unknown said...

The one I saw in 2008 was sitting on it's hind legs, and just about the right size to eat a goats ears while sitting on it's hind legs! Listen to me, or ignore me...either is fine with me, unless someone is hurt by this creepy/disturbing thing. I am an animal lover, but this is not normal! It was BIG, and not a racoon.