Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lady to be immortalised as church gargoyle

The smiling face of Nora Sly will be seen in her village of Cowley, near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, long after she has gone. Villagers have voted unanimously for the 89-year-old to be immortalised as a gargoyle on St Mary's church, which she has been attending for around 60 years.


Photo from SWNS.

Nora said she was overwhelmed when she was told about the community's plans to honour her. She said: "I was absolutely astounded when they told me they were going to put my face on the church.

"There are a lot of people who are more deserving of the honour than me. I did not feel it was all that flattering, though, but they have to make things stand out with a caricature. I did not know anything about it until they told me at a parish meeting that it had already been carved."


Photo from SWNS.

Nora said it was humbling to know that future generations will be able to look up at the church and see her likeness. "To think it's going to be there for all these years and that people will think of me in generations to come is overwhelming," she said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not technically a gargoyle if it doesn't spout rainwater out of the mouth.

Insolitus said...

Yeah, I remember being told these non-rainwater-spouting things are called grotesques.