Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Masked armed robber sobbed and begged for mercy after petrol station attendant fought back

A masked robber armed with a bread knife got more than he bargained for when he was bashed into submission with a baseball bat at a German petrol station. The masked man had demanded cash from the service station worker in Oldenburg in Germany at around 3.55am but he didn't know that the attendant kept a weapon close to hand.



"I knew that a baseball bat was standing there," 20-year-old attendant Robert B. said. Robert picked up a bat and bashing the masked intruder until he began to sob and weep. The robber had tried to attack Robert with a knife, but the service station worker later said he didn't give much thought to fighting back.



"In this moment I didn't think about anything, I just functioned," he said. "Please let me go. I have a wife and children,” the masked intruder reportedly said to Robert. In the video, Robert can be seen handing the weeping would-be thief a serviette to dry his eyes.


YouTube link.

The 32-year-old suspect, who Robert held at the service station until police arrived, faces at least five years behind bars. Robert's boss Heiko Lammers couldn't be more impressed with how he handled the situation. "I'm proud of him, but the safety of my employees is more important to me than the money," he said.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was always under the belief that weep and sob meant the same thing.

SteveC said...

Strange, I can never condone robbing, especially with a weapon, but I actually feel (a bit) pity for the would be robber.
Of course if I knew more of his story or reasons behind it maybe I wouldn't though.


(the image didn't come up straight away for the non-robot verification so I pressed to hear it spoken. That was the creepiest thing I ever heard!)

arbroath said...

Hahaha!

I'd never heard the Captcha spoken voice before either!

The letters/numbers aren't showing here either, so I assume it's broken at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Ban baseball bats! They're assault weapons!