Public health officials in Jefferson County, Alabama, have issued a warning to whoever may have handled a dead bat, putting a cigarette in its mouth, about a possible rabies scare.
The bat was found on a park picnic bench in Harriman Park, according to a news release from the Jeffco health department.
"The bat had been placed on a woman's floral shirt and had a cigarette placed in its mouth, indicating it had been handled," according to the release. The bat was submitted for testing, but due to the poor condition of the animal, tests could not be run.
For safety concerns, health department officials are assuming the bat was positive for rabies. Anyone who handled the bat may have been exposed and should seek medical treatment immediately.