Sunday, May 31, 2015

Jewellery store owner attacked gang of thieves with metal rod

When at least five masked men broke open the jewellery case and began grabbing gold chains, store owner Insuk "Sue" Shimochi said instinct and her feisty nature took over. She came out swinging. As security cameras recorded the heist at Immanuel Jewelry in the Lauderhill Mall in Florida, Shimochi grabbed a metal rod she kept behind the counter and began to strike out at the thieves. "Oh, I hit them many times," said Shimochi, 58. "I didn't know what I was thinking. I just got to protect my merchandise."



Surveillance footage shows the excitement started at about 4pm last Saturday with a man walking through the front door of the store and pulling out a hammer from under his shirt. As he attacked the glass, about four other men dashed in and began reaching into the display cases. Shimochi immediately grabbed the metal rod and landed her first blow to the head of a man in a white T-shirt. She then took aim at a second man wielding a blue recycling bin and shoving it in Shimochi's face in an effort to fend her off. In no more than 20 seconds the men, all wearing gloves, scurry out of the store with what Shimochi said was an estimated $200,000 worth of gold chains and charms.





Until she watched the video, Shimochi said could not recall exactly how she reacted. Her aggressive defence surprised even her, she said. "People think I'm a brave woman," she said. "My son's friends say I am a Jedi. But I was just trying to protect my merchandise." A native of South Korea, Shimochi said that although she has had a few classes in tae kwon do, she is not an accomplished martial artist. She and her husband have owned the jewellery store for 16 years. In that time she has lost chains to snatch-and-grab thieves about three times, Shimochi said. The metal rod was there so she could take a whack at chain snatchers, she said.


YouTube link.

But she had never used it. "I never thought a group [would] come robbing me," she said. Lauderhill Police Maj. Rick Rocco said he was also surprised by Shimochi's response. "The natural reaction to fight back is very strong," said Rocco. "But the consequence could be that it escalates the situation from a property crime to something physical. It could have gone sideways if these guys had felt they were in danger," Rocco said. "We usually advocate, try not to put yourself in harm's way. I'm glad she's okay." The metal rod is now in possession of Lauderhill police, who are examining it for DNA, Shimochi said.

No comments: