Saturday, July 02, 2016

Stranded lamb rescued by brave fell runner

A fell running champion turned into an animal rescuer while out training in the Cumbrian mountains.





Ricky Lightfoot, 31, who's just represented Great Britain at the world mountain running championships in Slovenia, discovered the tiny lamb while running on Great Gable late last month. "Coming along the bottom path before the cliff I could hear something but in the wind I couldn't make it out fully.





"But once I had done the scramble I could hear it better so decided to go and have a little look. Eventually it was getting louder and I found it," Ricky, who lives in Dearham, Cumbria, said. "I thought it was unusual for it to be crying for so long and so loud. It probably took me about 30 minutes from when I first heard it to get down.




YouTube link.

"It was a rough journey down and if no one had gone for it, I think it probably would've died. If it was left it probably wouldn't have survived. I don't know how it ended up down there but it was so small it wouldn't have got back up on its own steam." Ricky, who works as a firefighter in Workington, then managed to safely reunite the lamb with a group of sheep nearby.

No comments: