Thursday, March 01, 2012

Man dies after drinking petrol then lighting a cigarette

A man in North Carolina has died after accidentally drinking gasoline and then lighting a cigarette.

Police in Havelock received an emergency call at about 9.50pm local time on Monday after Gary Allen Banning (43) set himself alight. City spokeswoman Diane Miller said that Allen Banning was at a friend's apartment when he mistook a jar of petrol by the kitchen sink for drink.

After taking a gulp, he spit the liquid out, but got some on his clothes. A short time later Allen Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flames. He was taken to a nearby hospital but was later moved to Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill, and died from the severe burns on Tuesday morning at around 6:00am.

Havelock police confirmed alcohol was involved in the incident and drugs were possibly involved. They say earlier in the day someone at the apartment was using gasoline to clean grease off their hands and left the glass containing gasoline on the kitchen counter.


The Rat King said...

And Darwin laughed.

Anonymous said...

I have always been mystified by that segment of the population that somehow can breath the stench of gas as if it were a spring breeze. Clearly this cat was right in his element, breathing deeply the fragrant perfume of refined fossil fuels, the male equivalent of Chanel No.5

Anonymous said...

Smoking kills??