Monday, February 11, 2013

Man cleared of kicking pigeon to death after body went missing following post-mortem

A company director has been cleared of kicking a pigeon to death after prosecutors admitted they had lost the bird. Alan McIntee, 42, was cleared of charges after the 16-month case collapsed.

Perth Sheriff Court heard how the pigeon at the centre of a lengthy investigation disappeared after being taken into police custody and stored in the freezer. Thousands of pounds were spent prosecuting the case including veterinary fees to carry out a post-mortem on the dead bird before it went missing.



The court had heard that the Crown would not be able to produce the bird in court as its whereabouts were no longer known by the police. Outside court, Mr McIntee said: "This has cost me thousands of pounds in what I have had to pay my solicitor and the time I have had to take off work.

"I am disappointed it has taken so long. It is not just the financial cost, but it has caused emotional turmoil for me and my family for nearly 18 months. I think I have had to come to court on a total of 14 occasions for this case. I have had defence witnesses here and they have also lost wages as a result."

1 comment:

Gareth said...

The moral of the story then, Mr McIntee, is don't kick pigeons.