A woman had the diamond from her £18,000 wedding ring eaten by a trainee police dog, but recovered it two days later. Jack chewed up Angie Collins's wedding ring and swallowed the diamond. It took Mrs Collins, who looks after police puppies being trained, two days of waiting and sieving Jack's faeces before the diamond appeared.
Mrs Collins, 51, from Exmouth in Devon, said: "I thought it was futile. But
the sun was shining, and there it was." Mrs Collins had left her ring on a side table while she manicured her nails. "It must have winked at him," she said. "I went to the kitchen, came back and it
The ring was a mangled mess on the floor but the diamond was nowhere to be
found, despite a frantic search by Mrs Collins and husband Graham. "My husband and I emptied the entire room bit by bit which took hours. I
could only conclude that Jack had eaten it," she said. "The vet said because a dog's stomach is so intricate it was unlikely I would
get it back."
But she was undeterred. "As a dog walker you always keep your pet's 'poop' in a bag so I took it home
and sprayed it with the hose pipe and sieved it every single day - four times a
day at least, Mrs Collins said. She said she found the ring in the third lot of dog mess she looked
through. "I had almost given up, so it was the last shot," said Mrs Collins who has
been walking police dogs for 18 years.