Friday, March 20, 2015

Man dismayed by hamless hamwich

A man has expressed his dismay after purchasing a 'cheese hamwich' which turned out only to contain turkey, not ham from pigs. Mark Smith, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, was disappointed by the Bernard Matthews Cheese Hamwich which he bought. Mark, 30, said: "When I was shopping I was rushing a bit, so I didn't look too close at the packaging. I saw it was by Bernard Matthews, who is famous for turkeys of course, but I thought they might also use ham as well.



"A couple of days later I wanted to eat it and I was disappointed when I saw that it didn't actually have any ham in it at all." The packaging of the snack made by the Norfolk turkey market leaders describes product as 'chopped and shaped turkey and cured turkey topped with processed cheese coated in breadcrumbs" But Mark said: "The picture on the pack shows the meat as being pink, and turkey isn't really that colour, so it does look like ham much more than turkey.

"I spoke to a couple of friends about it and they said they thought it had ham in it, and they were surprised when I told them it didn't The word 'hamwich' comes from 'ham sandwich' after all which is a well-known thing, so it is a bit confusing." But Mark also pays tribute to the power of suggestion and added that the his initial belief that the product had ham informed his experience of eating the hamwich.



He said: "When I ate it of course I knew it was turkey ham, and that subtle turkey taste came through, but as I ate more of it, it did start to taste of ham, I think the packaging subliminally influenced the way I tasted it. I don't think it should be called a hamwich though. It could be called a turkwich, which sounds quite good." A spokesman for Bernard Matthews said: "The Bernard Matthews Cheese Hamwich is made from turkey, turkey ham and cheese coated in breadcrumbs. The ingredients are clearly labelled on the front of the packaging. Ham is a word used for meat from the leg of any animal and turkey ham is made from cured turkey thigh and drumstick meat."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ham, without a qualifier, has referred to pig meat only since the 1400s...

I don't think it's defined by statute in the UK though, and if clearly labelled it's a bit like complaining that there's no fingers in fishfingers, or eggs in creme eggs...

Anonymous said...

NORMAL HAMWICH PREASE!!!!!!!!